Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Teacher Tuesday... Keyboarding Edition

It's summer...Hallelujah!
That means, curriculum planning, poster making, theme developing, and a lot of pinterest professional development. As I mentioned last week, I am going with a pirate theme this year. Thanks to oriental trading, my wall display has been purchased along with lots of incentives. Walmart had a bunch of pirate party decor on a super sale, so I racked up!! 

Today, I am going to focus on second grade. Next year, I plan on taking on a huge task...teaching the second grade students (and probably 3rd and 4th) how to type. Here are some nifty things I've found to help me conquer this task.


I plan to start off with a lesson from Doreen Cronin and the Cows... I am a librarian, so I feel like I have to integrate literacy :)


Then I am going to make one of these for each student. They will keep it in their library folder. We will color the keys according to which finger you use to hit that key. Before we actually move to a computer, we will use this for a month or so to practice locating the keys on the keyboard.


Then at some point, after we know the keyboard, we will use some type of program like this one to begin keyboarding! I just love this particular program!!!


I would love to make this on a big wall in my library; however, I do not have anywhere to actually put this .... I am still thinking about this! 



If you have any ideas for teaching second grade students how to type, I am all ears!


Peace, Love, and Geaux Tigers



P.S. This is my first time to figure out how to embed the pinterest widgets.... so be patient please!

No comments:

Post a Comment